Thursday, August 5, 2010

Don't Push me Softly Into this Goodnight

This tough 'writer's economy' can actually affect and effect your ability to write in some ways. Struggling against being told constantly that we have 'no sales'. It's so hard to write when you are being told that your books aren't being sold which implies ... not being read. Sure it's not true especially in light of hard to read statements that indicate... well... sales... yet our pockets are empty... it can get to be too much. 

Yes we love writing but soon it will turn back in ... I hate to say it... a hobby, as it's so hard to make it a living these days. Unless you are an ultra A-lister living off the rewards of the 'days gone by'. The days of Large Contracts... strong marketing and that heaping helping of 'boosting onto the map'.. it's hard. 

I'm a good writer. Not for everyone... I get that... I've heard it time and again... but I've also heard that my work is good and I do have my fans... just as we ALL do. 

Many people don't like Eminem but hey he's paying his bills... because those that DO like him support him... see where I'm going with this. So no this blog is not for those that hate my work... obviously... it's for those that enjoy my work and want to continue reading it off the shelves… not via an electronic file sent to the email box.

The time of bad reviews just for the heck of it or hateraide just 'because' must stop and true support for the arts must come forth. Just as it happened when they threatened to close libraries the outrage was huge and the doors to many libraries stayed open. In this instance too, the love of the craft must come forth to save the arts. 

All writers give their hearts to this art and we really need the support. I want to tell readers that even if you don't like our work, love what we stand for... and support what we do. 

Self publishing is wonderful but not for everyone. Its a lot of hard work...hard hard work with many odds not in the self publisher's favor. It's difficult when you've had a career of 'low ebb' popularity or B-listing ...it's hard to suddenly break out and start self publishing. Its like starting to sell Amway in a new neighborhood or town... YIKES! Scary and well... hard.

Please...anyone hearing me (McGriff or Scott booklover or not)..Don't add to the dissipation of mainstream writers... not everyone can self publish and those that can't will fade away once publishers stop printing our work. Please don't let our work die... don’t push softly into this good night. Don't make us write those dreaded two words... THE END... 

And for those who don't favor my work ... put aside that feeling of put down for a moment to realize that there are some who love my work... that there is room on this literary planet for all books, videos, book trailers, and screenplays... just like music... never has there been someone say... there is just NO room for that song as it sound similar to another... 

Okay.. i"m off my soapbox for now and going back to work... no, not writing my story... my other work... and yes, I do miss writing my novels for my readers... they miss it too. I enjoyed being prolific and pumping out story after story... three and four a year...but with only having one book a year coming out and sometimes not even that (no books are selling)... it's been tough to pay bills... and I too have had to do 'something' else to keep my lights on... *sigh. 

I've seen successful writers get up in front of people and shamelessly request people to "BUY my books!" and it's not a bad idea... no marketing ploys... can't afford them... just an honest sincere request... BUY my books! BUY all of our books... keep us writing! Keep our publishers printing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment